Every American loves all the fabulous 4th of July festivities – flags, parades, cookouts, and fireworks! Unfortunately, for our pets, it is one of the most frightening and disorienting days of the year. Dogs especially tend to panic and run! During the Independence Day celebrations, pets are three times more likely to be lost during this holiday than at any other time of the year, according to shelter reports.
If your pet needs a little help to stay calm over the holiday weekend, stop by your favorite Treats Unleashed shop to pick up a “Thundershirt” or natural calming herbal supplement to help with all the noise and vibrations. Thundershirts use gentle, constant pressure to calm your pet. Herbal supplements promote a calm and restful state, a good option for both cats and dogs.
Below are some suggestions from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for keeping your furry friends safe this holiday.
- Be prepared in the event that your pet does escape.
- Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets.
- Never use fireworks around pets!
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and tiki torch oil products out of reach.
- Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it.
- Keep your pets on their normal diet.
- Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals.
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them.
Here’s a link to the complete safety tip article on their website.